The Match between Les Gets Vs Morzine Ski Resorts
Posted by FindHomeAbroad on March 19, 2023 Blog Findhomeabroad 0
Les Gets vs. Morzine: Comparing Two Alpine Neighbours in Les portes du Soleil Ski Area
Les Gets and Morzine are two neighbouring Alpine resorts in the Haute-Savoie region of France. Both resorts are part of the Portes du Soleil ski area, offering visitors a vast range of winter and summer activities. Despite their proximity and shared ski area, Les Gets and Morzine have distinct characteristics that set them apart.
In this article, we will compare these two charming resorts to help you decide which one best suits your next vacation.
Location and Accessibility
Both Les Gets and Morzine are located in the Haute-Savoie region, with Les Gets situated between Lake Geneva and Mont Blanc, while Morzine lies further south. The two ski resorts are approximately 10 km apart and both can be easily accessed from Geneva Airport. It is easy to connect between both resorts with the buses.
Les Gets is about an hour’s drive from the airport, while Morzine is slightly farther at 1 hour and 15 minutes.
Les Gets has a traditional Savoyard charm with its cozy village atmosphere, wooden chalets, and family-friendly vibe. The resort offers a genuine village life experience, making it an ideal destination for those seeking a relaxed, intimate vacation.
Morzine, on the other hand, is a larger resort with a more vibrant atmosphere, loved by Brits for its apres-ski vibe. The town centre has a mix of modern and traditional architecture, with a variety of shops, bars, and restaurants. Morzine appeals to visitors looking for a lively atmosphere with more entertainment options.
Check some of our properties in les Gets
Skiing and Snowboarding Terrain
As part of the Portes du Soleil ski area, both Les Gets and Morzine offer access to over 600 km of interconnected slopes. However, their local ski areas differ in terms of terrain and difficulty.
Les Gets is known for its family-friendly slopes, with a majority of blue and green runs that cater to beginners and intermediate skiers. The resort also has a dedicated children’s ski area, making it an excellent choice for families with young skiers.
Morzine, in contrast, offers a more varied terrain suitable for all skill levels. While it also has beginner and intermediate slopes, Morzine boasts more challenging red and black runs, attracting advanced skiers and snowboarders.
Both resorts transform into summer playgrounds, offering activities such as hiking, mountain biking, golf, and paragliding.
Les Gets is home to a popular 18-hole golf course and a renowned bike park, while Morzine features an extensive network of hiking trails and a large aquatic center.
Dining and Nightlife
Les Gets has a more intimate dining scene, with around 60 restaurants, bars, and pubs. The resort is known for its traditional Savoyard cuisine and cozy, family-friendly establishments.
Morzine, with its larger town center, offers a more extensive selection of dining options and a livelier nightlife. Visitors can enjoy a variety of international cuisines and numerous bars and clubs, catering to different tastes and preferences
Top 5 Restaurants and Bars in Les Gets
- La Pela – A traditional Savoyard restaurant, known for its fondue, raclette, and tartiflette.
- Le Boomerang – A trendy eatery offering a fusion of French and Australian cuisine, with options ranging from burgers to local specialties.
- L’As des Neiges – An upscale dining experience, featuring French and international cuisine and an extensive wine list.
- La Païka – A mountainside restaurant with stunning views, specializing in grilled meats cooked over an open fire.
- Le Vieux Chêne – Set in a beautifully renovated farmhouse, offering a mix of traditional and contemporary French cuisine.
- L’Aprèski Bar – A lively après-ski bar with live music and a wide selection of drinks.
- Bar Bush – A popular sports bar, perfect for watching games and enjoying a relaxed atmosphere.
- Le Pub Irlandais – A traditional Irish pub with a warm ambiance and live music events.
- Black Bear – A cozy, Canadian-inspired bar with a laid-back atmosphere and a selection of craft beers.
- Barbylone – A lively bar with themed nights, DJ sets, and a large terrace.
Top 5 Restaurants and Bars in Morzine
- La Chamade – A fine dining establishment offering gourmet French cuisine and an extensive wine list.
- L’Etale – A popular restaurant serving traditional Savoyard dishes, along with pizzas and a variety of other options.
- La Grange – A cozy, rustic restaurant specializing in local cuisine and known for its warm atmosphere.
- Le Clin d’Oeil – A Tex-Mex and French fusion restaurant, offering a unique dining experience in Morzine.
- Bec Jaune Brewery – A craft brewery and restaurant offering a variety of homemade beers and a menu featuring locally sourced ingredients.
- Le Tibetan Café – A lively bar with a vibrant atmosphere, live music, and themed nights.
- Dixie Bar – A popular sports bar with large screens for watching games and a relaxed vibe.
- Le Coup de Coeur – A wine bar with a cozy atmosphere, perfect for enjoying a glass of wine or a cocktail.
- L’Aubergade Bar – A laid-back bar with a large terrace, offering live music and a variety of drinks.
- Beanies Bar & Café – A coffee shop by day and a lively bar by night, offering cocktails, craft beers, and live music events.